An attorney for a bicyclist who was injured in the bridge collapse at FIU last week has filed suit in the case. Matt Morgan says his client was hit by a car that veered out of the way of the falling concrete. We’re also learning that another lawyer filed suit on behalf of Alberto Arias, who was one of six people killed when the cars they were in were crushed by the 950 pound span of bridge.
Photo by: WSVN
SWEETWATER, Fla. - Attorneys filed the first two lawsuit Monday on behalf of the victims in the pedestrian bridge collapse at Florida International University.
Matt Morgan told Local 10 News that he is representing a bicyclist who was hurt when the pedestrian bridge connecting the city of Sweetwater to FIU collapsed Thursday afternoon.
Another lawyer filed on behalf of Alberto Arias, who was crushed with his partner in their vehicle.
The announcements come on the same day that Gov. Rick Scott directed the Florida Department of Transportation to suspend the payment of all federal funding for the FIU bridge.
"Today, I am directing FDOT to suspend all future payments of the more than $13.6 million in federal funding originally allocated for this project," Scott said in a statement. "Before another dollar is spent on this bridge, we must know exactly what happened."