The IRS is about to off-load some of it's debt collection on private services - what it means:
Bottom Line: The IRS has complained about a lack of resources for years. One of the first major changes under the new administration to refocus IRS resources. That's going to happen with much of the debt collection being outsourced to private debt collection companies. Here are the companies that the IRS will begin to use for debt collection:
- CBE Group
Not all types of IRS debt will be eligible for private debt collectors to pursue. Here are those that won't be eligible for collection by one of those four collection agencies.
- Under the age of 18
- In designated combat zones
- Victims of tax-related identity theft
- Currently under examination, litigation, criminal investigation or levy
- Subject to pending or active offers in compromise
- Subject to an installment agreement
- Subject to a right of appeal
- Classified as innocent spouse cases
- In presidentially declared disaster areas and requesting relief from collection
So given the rampant IRS scams that have been perpetuated over the years - it's important to ensure that if you do have tax debt and you're contacted by an agency - that you fully check them out to ensure it's legit before providing any information.
Here's a link to IRS phone scam information from the IRS:https://www.irs.gov/uac/tax-scams-consumer-alerts