The incredible shrinking vacation...Another year and a lot of additional wasted vacation time. Very few are making full use of their paid time off:
Bottom Line: This is our current mindset on our paid vacation. Take less of it. Work more while on it. Worry more anyway. What am I talking about...?
Glassdoor.com is out with their most recent study on vacation use & that's pretty much what they found. Here were the specific highlights:
- Only 23% of Americans used all of their paid vacation time last year
- The average amount of vacation time left on the table was about 45%
- 67% work while on vacation (most commonly responding to emails)
- 25% had a boss make a specific work request of them while on vacation
- Average person polled that didn't use all of their vacation time reported being worried about job security if they did
That's pretty telling isn't it? No wonder that most people also report being more stressed than ever. Research has demonstrated that using vacation time and truly taking a break when you do, results in less stress generally, and more productivity when you are at work.