Florida's budget deal is finally done. What it means to you:
Bottom Line: Florida's budget is finally done after months of public wrangling in the most contentious budget during Governor Scott's time in office. The result on the most contentious issues (education/tourism/econ development) look like this:
- Public school spending increase of about $100 per student
- Increases for teacher bonuses and salaries
- Significant funding increase for Charter schools
- Money to begin to fund the Lake O' dike restoration project
- Funding for Visit Florida and a hybrid version of "Enterprise Florida"
Significant compromising took place by all constituencies - which in a political context is generally not a bad thing. Something of note. Governor Scott's two favorite programs, "Visit Florida" and "Enterprise Florida", didn't receive the level of funding.
The $85 million for Governor Scott to use for infrastructure and workforce development, while smaller in value than what he'd sought, actually provides him with the most flexibility he's ever had. The money can be used at his sole discretion to reward contracts to existing Florida based businesses or perhaps to lure new ones in.