There’s a new Sheriff in town (Broward) and he appears to mean business
- New Broward sheriff promises to restore “shattered” confidence in BSO and run in 2020 - Miami Herald
Excerpt: New Broward Sheriff Gregory Tony pledged to restore confidence in deputies who were castigated for their chaotic response to last year’s Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting and announced his intention to run for the county’s most powerful political office in 2020.
Tony, who replaced suspended Sheriff Scott Israel, outlined his primary goal of upgrading active-shooter training during a meeting with media on Thursday.
“There are deficiencies in training that we’re trying to fix,” he said. “Coral Springs and Parkland didn’t think it could happen, just as Columbine and Sandy Hook didn’t think it could happen, but it continues to happen. Be prepared so you don’t have to get prepared.”
Bottom Line: Time will tell right? It’s important to reserve judgement until there’s a track record to review but the first impression to me is exactly what I’d want to see...
- A clearly defined leadership style
- A sense of urgency (that we’re still waiting to see in the School District btw)
- Emphasis on field/active shooter training and discipline
- Commitment evidenced by the willingness to leave his family business to do this
Successful leaders may have differing styles but there’s always a common denominator. I’ve never known a successful leader who didn’t command respect. I can’t speak for the officers at BSO but it’s hard to imagine that they wouldn’t be inclined to view Sheriff Tony through a different prism than Israel. Especially given his background in law enforcement and upbringing in a challenged inner-city environment that he persevered through. He’s walked the talk.