Important headlines for May 25th - Memorial Day – Freedom isn't free.

Important headlines for May 25th  Memorial Day – Freedom isn't free. 

Bottom Line: These are stories you shouldn't miss and my takes on them... 

Of all of the federal holidays none is more solemn or as significant as Memorial Day. Increasingly, the purpose and significance of the day of remembrance is blurred in our society. As Americans we all have a responsibility on Memorial Day to pay homage to those who granted us this freedom with their lives.  

It started with the 4,435 Americans who died in the American Revolution and it continues with nearly 7,000 Americans who've sacrificed their lives fighting terrorism around the world since 9/11. In our near 242-year existence. Over 1.1 million Americans have sacrificed their lives for freedom. Our freedom. The least we can do is take a little time one day a year to honor their sacrifice. After World War II and at the time of the official declaration of Memorial Day as a federal day of remembrance in 1967 approximately 12% of the US population had served in the military. For those who survived the Great War and the Forgotten War (especially significant in the context of today's world events) they didn't need a reminder of the sacrifices made by those who didn't return home. Today, under 1% of Americans have served. It's become easy for the other 99% to take for granted the freedom they enjoy. Over 80% of the world's population still isn't free and the median per captia income $2,920 per year. Yet we live in a society today in which athletes that make millions of dollars to play a game claim they're victims. Many in our society have lost perspective because they never had it, weren't taught it or simply place politics disproportionately above what's most important. 

It's important that we all do our part to ensure that we have perspective and share it with those in our lives. Freedom isn't free. It never has been. It's paved with the blood of more than 1.1 million Americans. Honor them and remember them this Memorial Day.  

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content