Florida's recap – Highlights from around the state – June 19th
Bottom Line: Your daily recap of the some of the biggest news from around the state that impacts you in South Florida.
- President Trump’s 2020 re-election bid kicked off in Orlando in front of 20,000 supporters at the Amway Center with a 75-minute speech highlighting Keeping American Great - citing economic achievements including record low minority unemployment, tax cuts and energy independence. He visits Trump International in Doral today for a fundraiser
- An illegal dog fighting ring has been discovered in Tallahassee with video recorded by an uncover officer showing pit bulls fighting to the death. The ring is believed to have been operating since 2014.
- On back of the passage of the Assignment of Benefits reform by the state of Florida, Citizens Property Insurance is reducing the average policy cost by 3.5%
- Governor DeSantis signed 11 bills into law including the enabling of electric scooters in Florida, a law lowering the minimum age to be a corrections officer to 18 and revisions to higher education programs including Florida’s Bright Futures scholarship program
- Former Broward Sheriff Scott Israel testified before the Florida Senate’s “special master”, contesting his suspension by Governor DeSantis. Testimony will continue today. Upon a conclusion to the hearing a recommendation will be made to the Florida Senate