Florida News That Impacts You – August 12th, 2021
Bottom Line: Your daily recap of the some of the biggest news from around the state that impacts you in South Florida.
- The CDC has reconciled their COVID-19 data with the Florida Department of Health’s after previously admitting they combined three days' worth of data into two. The revised data shows Florida’s peak for cases last weekend topped out at under 24,000 cases as opposed two days over 28,000. Related...
- Florida posted a new daily high for new COVID-19 cases on Wednesday with 24,753 reported. The weekly trend for daily cases in Florida has also reached a new high at over 21,000. Related...
- Hospitalizations for COVID-19 continue to rise as well reaching 15,449 Wednesday – with 3,100 people in ICU. While hospitalizations are at a pandemic high in Florida, they still account for just 28% of all hospitalizations in Florida.
- University of Florida researchers are predicting the peak of the current surge in cases will occur on August 18th.
- Fred has weakened into a tropical depression after crossing Hispaniola. Fred’s expected to remain a depression today before strengthening into a weak tropical storm tomorrow as it crosses the Florida Straits Saturday.