Florida News That Impacts You – August 13th, 2021
Bottom Line: Your daily recap of the some of the biggest news from around the state that impacts you in South Florida.
- The Mayo Clinic’s just completed study affirming Moderna’s vaccine is the most effective against the variants, 76% for Moderna compared to 42% for Pfizer also included this detail specific to Florida. Floridians fully vaccinated with Moderna’s shot faced a 60% lower risk of infection when compared to Pfizer recipients.
- Florida remains in peak pandemic mode with 24,869 new COVID-19 cases reported on Thursday, bringing the weekly trend for daily cases to 21,210. There’s increasing consensus among researchers that Florida’s peak of the current surge will occur over the next week as John’s Hopkins modeling is consistent with the University of Florida’s which indicated a peak by mid next week. Related...
- Hospitalizations for COVID-19 stand at a new high of 15,796. 85% of Florida’s impatient beds are currently in use – 27% of which are COVID-19 patients.
- 440 students are quarantined in Palm Beach County’s schools after 105 students and 26 employees have tested positive for COVID-19.
- Fred will be a rain event for South Florida as it makes an expected pass through the Keys tomorrow as a weak tropical storm before an expected landfall in the panhandle on Monday.