Florida News That Impacts You – October 20th, 2021
Bottom Line: Your daily recap of the some of the biggest news from around the state that impacts you in South Florida.
- With 2,122 new COVID-19 cases reported on Tuesday, over 500 fewer than Tuesday of a week ago, Florida’s weekly trend for cases has fallen below 2,500 daily for the first time since July 3rd. Cases are now 88% lower than peak levels in mid-August. Related...
- 99 fewer Floridians are hospitalized with COVID-19 today. Entering Wednesday 2,535 people were hospitalized with the virus statewide – the lowest since July 7th.
- Florida’s Department of Economic Opportunity said Florida’s now recovered 80% of the jobs lost due the pandemic last year. Additionally, the state’s total workforce has reached a record high exceeding the peak levels of February of last year, the last month prior to the impact of the pandemic in Florida. Related...
- Amazon is hiring 10,500 seasonal employees for the holiday season in Florida. The jobs pay between $15 to $17.50 an hour. This is in addition to the 8,000 full-time employees the company was already in the process of hiring in Florida.
- Governor DeSantis is offering Florida’s ports as a part of a solution to ease the supply-chain crisis nationally. On back of the announcement, several ships enroute to the United States are said to be rerouted to Florida’s ports.