Florida News That Impacts You – February 12th, 2024
Bottom Line: Your daily recap of the biggest news from around the state that impacts you in South Florida.
- Recent movers in the state legislative session as the session crossed the halfway mark included the Safe Exchange of Minor Children bill, aka the Cassie Carlie Law, which would have court ordered safe exchange locations for children with shared custody. The bill unanimously passed its second senate committee. The Use of Artificial Intelligence in Political Advertising bill advanced past its second senate committee unanimously. The bill seeks to regulate/ban the use of potentially deceptive AI political advertising campaigns.
- Governor DeSantis has received the first six bills passed by the Florida Legislature in this year’s session. All pertain to updating Florida statues. The Governor has until February 15th to sign the updates into law or to reject them.
- One area in focus as serious work on the state’s budget is underway is tax cuts. After a significant expansion of tax cuts and the elimination of some taxes in the current Florida fiscal year, House Committee Chairman Stan McClain and Senate Appropriations Chairman Doug Broxson both stated that the tax breaks being considered won’t be as extensive in the 2023-2024 state budget. Governor Desantis’ budget calls for a reduction of spending totaling greater than $4 billion due to a reduction in federal funds into the state. The legislature is currently considering shortening the length of sales tax holidays.
- Today will be the warmest day of the year to date with highs well above average for this time of year in the mid 80’s. It will remain gusty with wind gusts above 20 mph much of the day. A cold front will bring cooler temps tomorrow.
- Gas prices dipped a bit over the weekend. The average price statewide for regular unleaded is $3.14 per gallon - 8 cents lower than a week ago. In Palm Beach County the average price is $3.35 per gallon, in Martin the average is $3.25 and in Indian River County the average is $3.14 per gallon.